Valencia, September 23 (EFE).- Carlos San Juan, the promoter of the “I’m older, not an idiot” campaign, has asked Economy Minister Nadia Calviño to continue the progress made to improve the treatment of banks. for the elderly and “don’t stop now”, in some “difficult” moments also for the elderly.

Six months have passed since banks signed a protocol to improve access to their services for elderly and disabled people, which included longer face-to-face service in offices, personal and discount telephone assistance and ATMs. in simplified language, This Valencia doctor has emphasized that it is “non-commercial”, that one hundred percent of bank offices do not yet work full time, because it is a “public service”.

There are now 80% of branches with full face-to-face hours, but the remaining 20% ​​will only remain open until 11am, “curiously” in “sensitive” areas such as neighborhoods with high populations, he specified. in statements to EFE.

San Juan also refers to the minister’s promise to implement the law establishing the Financial Client Protection Agency, which has already been approved by the Council of Ministers but was not published in the BOE, and asks him to know what the current procedures are. to become effective and what measures it will continue to take to solve the problems of banking services for the elderly.

“I appeal to Minister Calviño to consider us. We understand that there are many problems: the pandemic, the war in Ukraine, the energy crisis… We also suffer from prices, but the fact that a person does not get enough access to his pension is a very serious loss,” said San Juan. who started a campaign in January of this year, collecting over 600,000 signatures on change.org.

And adds, “We need to validate this law and protect the most vulnerable user,” the elderly, who can’t be required to have a “smartphone, apps, and a master’s degree in computer science” “if they want to.” to go and ask what happened to the 10 euros, which is 5 minutes, come to us”.

In 2021, the number of complaints made to the bank was “scandalous” and 70% were resolved favorably, but this percentage corresponds to people who have support, not those who can’t even claim. “It’s unacceptable that they put restrictions on schedules or meeting requirements,” adds San Juan.

The promoter of the campaign has admitted that he was satisfied with the interviews with Calviño and that he seemed to him to be a “prepared, serious and respectful person”, which is why he asks to remember the elderly, who are the most vulnerable sector. of society.

He considers it a paradox if the benefits of banking are increasing, but the ATMs are not getting easier or the applications are not being changed, and he insists, as written in the law of the Financial Client Protection Board, that it is possible to file a complaint without a lawyer or a lawyer, that the supervisor is the Bank of Spain and that compliance with the measures can be assessed by an external body.

“I’m not against anybody, I’m saying keep going like it started, it started very well,” said the 79-year-old San Juan.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.